Deciding to move your business to the cloud can be a daunting task. There are many questions that need to be answered and resolved before making the transition. Cloud enterprise solutions have quickly become a practical and financially sensible option for many business, regardless of their size. Here we will discuss some benefits a business will experience when moving to the cloud and reasons to consider making the switch.
Defining and assessing cloud computing
In today’s connected culture we often expect to have access to our data the instant we need it. Cloud computing brings that to businesses in a fast, reliable and more secure manner than ever before. All that is needed is an internet connection.
There are three main divisions of cloud computing:
- Data storage
- Hardware as a resource (HaaS)
- Software as a resource (SaaS)
Businesses use cloud storage for redundancy, mobility and collaboration. With cloud storage, a business has the flexibility of accessing their data from anywhere while having the benefit of redundancy built-in.
When resource scalability becomes a necessity in your business, Haas can provide your business with the scalable hardware resources that it needs. Adding more physical servers and network switches to accommodate your business is becoming less practical and financially unsound, especially when forecasting the needs of your business. With HaaS, your hardware resources can be scaled to only what you need and no financial resources are left on the table in unused hardware.
SaaS is a software licensing and delivery model in which software applications are centrally hosted and maintained by a service provider. These business applications are then made available to clients via the cloud environment with a web browser as the common means of access. Subscription to a SaaS will always keep you up-to-date with the last version of the software you are using. Never again will you have to pay for the newest version of the software your business uses. You would also save money by not having to purchase the IT hardware associated with running the software. Email, spam filtering, anti-virus software, and even your wireless network can all be moved to the cloud.
Taylored Systems can work with you to determine the needs of your business and how a cloud based solution might serve as a better fit. Taylored Systems partners with Adtran to provide our clients with a leading edge cloud based Wi-Fi solution.
What factors should you consider when moving to the cloud?
Some components that need to be considered when deciding to make the switch to the cloud include:
- Expected future cost for the hardware infrastructure
- Security expectations
- Storage capacity needs
- Ease of access
Looking at the Pros & Cons of cloud solutions
|Choice & Agility||Vendors Reliance|
|Scale & Cost||Compliance|
|Unlimited Software Upgrades||Speed|
The list of Cons for cloud computing is really more a list of careful considerations you should look into when choosing to move any part of your business to the cloud. If connectivity is a concern, then you need to make sure there’s a network in place that uses multiple internet connections and can utilize them to make sure you never have down time. The strategic partners at Taylored Systems can provide you with the expertise to build a bulletproof network. Security and compliance concerns can be overcome and extensive precautions should be taken with cloud services to protect your information. The best providers should encrypt your data.
When should you transition your business to the cloud?
- If you are faced with the cost of upgrading your hardware or software, then looking at a cloud based service and paying for only what you need may be the more cost effective solution. A lot of financial capital can be spent not only for the initial funds to accommodate your data, but to also make sure it’s backed up locally and offsite.
- Growth in a business can sometimes be a hard thing to determine. To prevent your business productivity from being stifled, employing the simple process that cloud services provide should be considered.
- If installing updates and upgrades for your software is a hassle, SaaS may be the best solution for you. SaaS will always guarantee you are using the latest software. This will up your business resources to be more productive.
- Would your business benefit by allowing your employees to be more mobile? If the possibility of accessing your data from anywhere allows you to be more productive, cloud based services would prove an ideal solution.
- If you are looking to decrease the workload of your IT department, this can also be achieved by moving to the cloud.
Moving your business to the cloud is a good move for any organization that wants to protect their data, have mobility and flexibility, and have a cost effective solution that fits your evolving needs. Essentially, it is a good idea for almost any type of business.
By evaluating the structure and needs of your company, it’s possible to work with a cloud service vendor to find the best fit for your business. Taylored Systems can provide you with the expertise and resources to help you find what cloud services might best fit your business needs. If you would like to speak with one of our experts about your specific business needs, please don’t hesitate to contact us.